About Bob: www.robertmoore.ca
Vancouver Real Estate Development & Changes – Sept 1, 2018
Here’s an interesting City of Vancouver link taking you to all the rezoning applications. Zoom in, move the map around to see the various applications for proposed and approved condo or townhouse developments. If you are a property owner, it’s important to know what’s going on around you.
You’ll also see a link to plans for the Arbutus Greenway, reimagining historic rail transportation, cycling, walking and rolling.
Change is the Name of the Game
Greater Vancouver has changed a lot in the past 10 years and we are going to see even more change in the next 10 years as municipalities gear up for increased housing density including new purpose-built rental buildings. From listening to presentations from the GM of Planning for Vancouver and all 3 North Shore Mayors, changes to land use, planning and development will continue.
Changes to Land Use
- Vancouver is studying the Broadway corridor as far west as Vine Street and from W 2nd up to W 16th Ave much like they did the Cambie corridor as part of the Millennial Line Skytrain expansion. Opportunity?
- Vancouver is proposing a change to all RS zoned houses, allowing for conversion to a duplex or triplex and the possibility of strata title. There are about 65,000 RS zoned homes in Vancouver. Opportunity?
- Earlier this year, Vancouver previously enacted changes for pre-1940 built single-family RS zoned houses, if they have character merit, allowing for greater density and strata titling if converted to a duplex or triplex. Opportunity?
- North Vancouver and Burnaby are both very busy with changes to land use, master planned communities and new development.
- West Vancouver, the only municipality with a declining population, knows they have some catching up to do regarding land use changes in order to address the needs of citizens who need to downsize and prefer to remain in the District of West Van.